Saturday, February 22, 2003

OK... I think I'm finally getting the hang of this now.

I'm writing this 'blog' for a couple of reasons. Firstly because I want to pass on information about the development of the ODPS as it grows and changes. Secondly because I talk a lot naturally and being alone at the computer means I have a lot of time to spend with nobody to whinge at! And pretty much because I can ( I loves computers me... well OK I hate them as well but that's another story).

Moving rapidly on. The ODPS has been around for 3 years or so and in that time has morphed from more or less 'home page' to what is virtual cult in its own right. We've had around a million visitors which is a respectable total. So, we think it's time to update the site and its image. Yes we love the old fashioned look of the original site, but sooner or later it has to change. We've been asked over and over to make it more user friendly and to add this feature or that. So... work is in progress.

In a few weeks we hope to have a 'sampler' page up showing off the new site, albeit maybe with few words on it to begin with. All the new words will be entered into the new site and over a period we'll transfer the old words in as well. When it's complete... we'll relegate the old site to an archive where the nostalgic can go and wonder what the fuss was about.

The new site will have a much 'easier on the eye' interface, will have a decent search facility, will show all the new words added and will have an enhanced submission page.

What else it will have isn't definite yet, but I'd like to start a 'community' so will start looking at producing a regular newsletter... but first we need to get the site up and running. Please bear with us while the work is carried out. there may be a few 'hiccoughs' along the way :)

Of course I have no doubt that within days I'll be writing about politics, religion and anything else that passes through my mind, but if I do and start to ramble a bit, please let me know.

No comments: